Time goes by very fast and in less than a month VMworld 2014 Europe will take place for the third time in a row in Barcelona. The conference theme this year is “No Limits” – and the announcements of the US Version this August give an idea what you can expect:
- vCloud Suite 5.8
- VMware NSX 6.1
- VMware vRealize Suite
- vSphere 6.0 beta
- Virtual Volumes & Virtual SAN 2.0 beta
- VMware vRealize Suite
If this is your first VMworld in Barcelona you might be interested in the blogpost “Transportation at VMworld Barcelona 2014“. There you can find some information about public transportation to the venue and shuttleservices from and to the airport.
If you have not done it yet, you better hurry and start building your schedule. Seats are limited and popular sessions are filling fast! If you have not scheduled a session you have to wait if there are any seats left…
Before you start your trip to the show, take a look in your appstore and download the VMworld 2014 Mobile App to your smartphone. The App for VMworld Europe will soon be available and is a great help to organize your days at the conference. The app enables you to access eg:
- Social Media stream & resources
- What’s Happening & Daily Highlights
- Sessions & Labs info (w/hashtags to share on Twitter)
- Sponsors/Exhibitors directory & info
- Session & Conference Surveys
- Local info for San Francisco
- VMUG information
- Partner Day Agenda
- VMworld Game – task/activity game
Last but not least do not forget to plan your evenings/nights Many parties take place and offer you a great possibility for networking and meeting people you only know from the web/or see only once a year.
The first networking opportunity is (hopefully) the vRockstars Party at Sunday evening. Another party you should definitely not miss is the Veeam Party (Tuesday evening) and of course the VMworld Party at Wednesday evening.
As you need an invitation to attend most of the vendor partys, do not forget to visit their booths at Solutions Exchange!
If you use TSM 6.4 or 7.1 for your VMware guest backup, you should take care of IBM KB Ref# 1684022 “TSM data mover backups of VMware guests might be unrecoverable“.
Under certain conditions the backup of the VMware guests will be incomplete, but still marked as successful.
The following products are affected:
- Tivoli Storage Manager Windows and Linux x86 Backup-Archive Client version 6.4.0.x – 6.4.1.x.
- Tivoli Storage Manager Windows and Linux x86 Backup-Archive Client version 22.214.171.124 – 126.96.36.199
- Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments: Data Protection for VMware version 6.4.0 and 6.4.1 when used with an affected Tivoli Storage Manager Backup-Archive Client version
- Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments: Data Protection for VMware version 7.1.0 when used with an affected Tivoli Storage Manager Backup-Archive Client version
IBM KB Ref# 1684022 “TSM data mover backups of VMware guests might be unrecoverable
It’s not the first time for Veeam to throw an online show, but this time they have some very special hosts and guests: Ian Wells, Veeam Regional Director, Northern Europe, Aseem Anwar, Veeam Senior Systems Engineer, UK & Ireland, and Barry Coombs, ComputerWorld Pre Sales and Technical Architect Manager.
Learn about the role of technologies in business and what we are up to in the next 5 years, plus:
- Catch up on and debate IT trends, with a focus on datacenter technologies
- Find out industry insights and the most important considerations
- Get answers to questions that matter to you!
This will be an open discussion with NO script or boring slide deck!
So do not forget to save the date – the show starts on: Sept. 18, 15:00 BST, 16:00 CEST
Don’t miss it! Register now and you’ll get an invitation to the next episode covering Veeam and SCOM for Hyper-v.
Barcelona is the second largest city in Spain. More than 1,6 million people are living there and the city covers an area of 101 square kilometers – so you can imagine that it is worth to take a closer look at the public transportation before travelling to VMworld.
The city has an efficient metro network that makes it easy for visitors to get fast from A to B. In the last two years there were sponsored Metro passes available at the Info Counter or at the Lower Lobby. So I can only recommend you to register and get your badge immediately after arrival in Barcelona and pick up your metro tickets.
Most of you will arrive by plane, so you can use the shuttle service from the airport to the Venue. Just look around for the girls with the VMworld signs in the arrival terminal – they will show you the way to the busses.
Shuttles will run according to the following schedule:
- Sunday, 13 October: 16:00 – 20:00 (Airport to venue)
- Monday, 14 October: 10:00 – 20:00 (Airport to venue)
- Thursday, 17 October: 12:00 – 18:00 (Venue to airport)
As there is no transportation provided from the Venue to your hotel it makes sense to make yourself familiar with the Barcelona Metro Map.
The nearest metro station to the venue is Europa Fira (Metro Line L8). As in the last years there will be a shuttle service that runs on a loop between the Europa Fira metro station and the North Entrance of the Fira Gran Via. This service is free and available every day of the conference.
After the venue, a lot of parties are taking place. Take care in advance about shuttle services or use the metro to get there by your own. And if all else fails do not hesitate to take a taxi. They are not exorbitant expensive and will get you quickly and safely to your destination.
You can find more information about the show here: VMworld 2014 Barcelona FAQ
If you do not have a ticket till now you can register here: Register for VMworld 2014